Court Hears ‘Horrendous Adverse Effects’ Of HPV Vaccine

Fact checked
The horrendous adverse affects of the HPV vaccine are heard by a court

A mother who says her daughter suffered “horrendous adverse effects” shortly after receiving the HPV vaccine has started legal proceedings against the Irish government. 

Fiona Kirby, a nurse from Ireland and a member of REGRET (Reaction and Effects of Gardasil Resulting in Extreme Trauma), is seeking a High Court order for the withdrawal of the license given to HPV vaccine manufacturer Gardasil HPV vaccine, which is currently offered to girls aged 11-16 as a cervical cancer preventative. reports:

The vaccine has been offered to teenage girls in Ireland since May 2010 as part of the schools vaccination programme and is recommended by the World Health Organsiation.

The REGRET group claims about 100 girls have allegedly reported illness after getting the vaccine.

In her proceedings, Ms Kirby claims, within 24 hours of receiving the vaccination in October 2011, her 11-year old daughter presented with severe flu like symptoms.

Those symptoms reappeared after her daughter got her second vaccine shot, she claims. Her daughter did not receive the third dose of the vaccine.

In an affidavit, Ms Kirby claims her daughter became extremely fatigued and suffered severe nausea which led to weight loss and muscle wastage. Her daughter also missed days at school, was hospitalised with bilateral pneumonia in March 2012 and was on antibitoics for six weeks.

Her daughter is now disabled to the point she needs to be cared for on a permanent basis, she claims.

Ms Kirby said her daughter suffered “horrendous adverse effects” directly after receiving the vaccine and she had thought her daughter’s problems were an isolated case. Other girls are also suffering “similar continuous life changing health problems” which, it is claimed, all happened shortly after they received the vaccine, she said.

Ms Kirby was accompanied in court by other women who are all members of the parents support group. The case was adjourned by Mr Justice Paul Gilligan for three weeks to allow the HPRA file a replying affidavit.