Teen Survives 3rd Attack – First Boston, Then Paris, Now Brussels

Fact checked by The People's Voice Community
This undated photo provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints shows Mormon missionary Mason Wells, 19, of Sandy, Utah, who was injured in Tuesday's explosion at the Brussels airport. Mormon church officials say three missionaries including Wells were seriously injured in the Brussels airport attack. (Mormon Church via AP)

A 19-year-old Mormon missionary from the US was injured in the Brussels terror attacks had, according to the Daily Mail, unbelievably survived both the Boston bombing and the Paris terror attacks of 2015:

ISIS has claimed responsibility for the double blasts, which left at least 34 people dead including three of the terrorists and nearly 200 people injured.  

The State Department said Wednesday that at least 12 Americans have been injured in the attacks, including Mormon missionary Mason Wells, 19, his two colleagues, a U.S. Air Force officer and the serviceman’s five family members. 

The two airport terrorists, who it is believed blew themselves up in the bombing, were spotted on CCTV wearing black gloves.

It is believed those gloves contained detonators, which were worn on the terrorists’ left hand.

A manhunt is underway for the third man who it is believed was with them and walked out of the airport moments before the blasts. 

The bombs exploded nail-shrouded devices hidden in suitcases in the first of twin terror attacks on the Belgian capital.

Some of the shrapnel from those blasts hit Mason Wills. 

And it is a similar technique used by the terrorists who attacked Paris, where Mason was last year when 130 people were killed.  

The 19-year-old suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon, injuries from shrapnel and second- and third-degree burns on his face and hands after the bombing.

Two missionaries who were with Mason also suffered injuries, but survived. 

‘This is his third terrorist attack,’ Chad Wells, Mason’s father, told ABC News.

‘This is the third time that sadly in our society that we have a connection to a bomb blast

‘We live in a dangerous world and not everyone is kind and loving.’

Chad said he and Mason were a block away from the finish line of the Boston Marathon, where the bombing took place, waiting for Mason’s mother, Kymberly Wells, who was a runner.

‘It had shaken their bodies and he had taken Mason to our hotel and said to stay there.

‘Mason was very calm and composed,’ Kymberly told ABC News. 

Mason is currently in a Belgian hospital and is expected to make a full recovery, he told his parents. He was at ‘ground zero’ of the blast zone when the bombs went off. 

ABC News was there when Mason’s parents spoke to him from the hospital. Chad Wells promised to get on the next flight to Paris to visit his son. 

‘I don’t feel like you need to come to Europe but I’m not gonna stop you if you guys…if you want to, Dad,’ Mason says during the call. ‘The burns aren’t too bad at all, so they’re pretty sure they’re not gonna scar.’ 

Mason’s mother’s voice breaks as she asks her son how long he’ll be in the hospital, and he says weeks. 

‘It’s a miracle he’s alive. It’s a blessing from God he’s alive,’ Chad Wells said. ‘He’s just grateful to be alive, to have survived this, we’re grateful that he survived such a horrible  thing, because being right there at ground zero, and right next to the attack – and to survive – is nothing short of a huge miracle.’ 

Chad said a Mormon official relayed to the Wells family that Mason, ‘despite being on the ground and bleeding actually had a sense of humor and remained calm through the situation’. 

‘Mason has always assured us that he is safe and careful.

‘I told him first and foremost always be aware of your surroundings, please be very careful when you’re traveling be very observant to people around you,’ Kymberly said.

The teen was also in Paris last year during the attacks. 

‘He shared with us that he was extremely close to the blast where he was burned by it,’ Chad said.

‘It’s a blessing from God he’s alive.’

Joseph Empey, who was with Mason, was also injured in the attack. 

The 20-year-old was treated for second-degree burns to his hands, face and head.

He also had surgery Tuesday for shrapnel injuries to his legs, but his family said in a statement that the he is recovering and is grateful and in good spirits.

Joseph and Mason were at the airport with 66-year-old Richard Norby when they were wounded by an explosion.

A fourth missionary from France, Fanny Rachel Clain, was in a different location at the airport and was hospitalized with minor injuries. 

Also among the Americans injured is Karen Northshield, a personal trainer living and working Brussels. 

Friends originally reported her missing on Tuesday, but on Wednesday they found out she was being treated at a local hospital.  

Paul Tucker, a personal trainer from the UK who works with Northshield in Brussels, told the Telegraph: ‘I have been told this morning that Karen is in hospital in intensive care. She is alive but we don’t know her condition or her injuries.

‘I think she was flying back to the U.S. for the Easter holidays. She has a sister in Brussels who is with her in hospital. It’s very upsetting but that’s all I know. I don’t know what state she is in in intensive care.’ 

An eyewitness said the blasts were so powerful that victims were thrown in the air, leaving the floor strewn with bodies, limbs and debris. Among the 14 dead inside the airport was said to be a man holding a baby.

There were reports of gunfire and shouts of God is great in Arabic. Police reportedly later found two AK-47 rifles and an unexploded suicide bomb vest.

Brussels remains on lockdown today with police desperately carrying out a series of anti-terror raids in a city which has already been deemed a ‘clearing house for jihadism’. 

More jihadis have traveled from Belgium to fight for ISIS in Syria and Iraq than have gone from any other European country. 

In Brussels, along with Mason, others, like NBA Hall of Fame star Dikembe Mutombo, survived the horrifying bombing on Tuesday.

Mutombo, who was returning from a visit to the hospital in Kinshasa his foundation opened, told CNN he had been asleep in a passenger lounge when the airport was attacked.

‘I heard people start screaming and everyone start running,’ Mutombo said.

‘I was napping and I was, like, what’s going on? I thought it was a joke. And a lady said, ‘Everybody out, everybody out. We have to go. We have to go. A lot of people are bleeding downstairs. A lot of people are hurt’.’

‘There was no hesitation from there. I grabbed my bag and I started running as well,’ said Mutombo.



Royce Christyn
About Royce Christyn 3440 Articles
Documentarian, Writer, Producer, Director, Author.