London Met Police Brutally Attacked By Mob Of 30 Schoolchildren

Fact checked by The People's Voice Community

Video footage shows two Met police officers being attacked by a group of 30 schoolchildren in Lewisham.

The officers had intervened to break up a fight and arrest a suspect.

They were punched and kicked, surrounded by baying teenagers, with one officer getting dragged to the pavement.

Evening Standard reports:

They then begin repeatedly kicking him and stamping on his head, to loud shouts from the other teens.

His female colleague tries to intervene but is pushed away by the youths. She was allegedly punched in the jaw during the violence.

Another man, believed to be a teacher, is shown trying to stop the carnage by pulling away a number of the baying schoolchildren.

The dazed policeman is then seen staggering away from the group along the floor as the crowd disperses.

Both officers are then seen standing against the railings with the teacher seemingly shielding them from the remaining youths.

One resident told The Sun that the violence in New Cross had started after the group arrived for a fight between rival schools.

He said: “There was a fight, then the police turned up and were attacked by the kids.

“They were like a pack of feral wolves.”

Earlier footage shows police searching a teenager face down on the bonnet of a car after he was allegedly seen with a knife.

Children surround the vehicle and can be heard shouting “Get off of him” before the attack begins.

The male officer suffered serious bruising during the violence and was taken to hospital as a precaution.

This week, police appealed for any more footage of the Goodwood Road incident, which happened on November 9 at around 4pm, to come forward.

A Met Police spokesman said the two officers had been on routine patrol when they noticed one of the schoolchildren appeared to have a knife.

He said: “After attempting to search the suspect, one of the officers was violently punched in the face several times by some of the other youths, causing him to fall to the ground.

“The second officer stepped in to help her colleague and in doing so was also punched in the jaw.

“The group continued to assault the officer on the floor by repeatedly kicking him in the head, leaving him with serious bruising and damaging his mobile phone.”

Police are now speaking with schools in the area in a bid to track down the attackers.

A 15-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of actual bodily harm and bailed until mid-December.

Detective Sergeant Jenny White, of Lewisham Police, said: “I’m appealing to anyone who witnessed this shocking attack on two officers to come forward and speak with us, particularly anyone with mobile phone footage of the incident.

“It happened at a very busy time of the day and there would’ve been a large number of people in the area.

“These officers go to work every day to keep the public safe and this demonstrates the dangers the police can face while carrying out these duties.”

Anyone with information is urged to contact Lewisham CID on 020 8284 8365 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Edmondo Burr
About Edmondo Burr 3498 Articles
BA Economics/Statistics CEO