Palestinian, Israeli forces clash after young Palestinian’s death

Fact checked
Palestinian, Israeli forces clash after young Palestinian’s death

Israeli security forces shot dead 22-year-old Arab-Israeli citizen who allegedly threatened them with a knife as he tried to prevent a relative being arrested, police said.

Police said he was killed after they fired warning shots, but his family say he was “shot dead in cold blood” in the north Israel village of Kfar Kana.

Press TV reports: Palestinian demonstrators have clashed with Israeli forces during a protest in the Galilee region, after Israeli troops shot dead a young Palestinian man.

Thousands of demonstrators staged a protest in the village of Kafr Kanna on Saturday afternoon to condemn the killing of 22-year-old Khair al-Din Hamdan by Israeli forces earlier in the day.

They carried posters bearing Hamdan’s picture and waved Palestinian flags while shouting anti-Israeli slogans.

“My son was killed in cold blood because he is an Arab. This disaster is not related only to Kafr Kanna, but touches the entire Arab sector. This is a racist act. We will not forgive the police. We will take the appropriate steps against the police,” Rauf Hamdan, the father of the deceased, told the crowd.

Some protesters hurled stones at police officers and set fire to tires and Israeli flags. Three were arrested.

Israeli forces claimed that the young Palestinian was shot during an arrest raid. They said they first fired into the air to warn the young man and shot him in the chest later when they felt threatened.

However, footage which surfaced after the incident shows an Israeli serviceman step out of his car and directly shoot at Hamdan who is seen retreating. The Palestinian succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.

“This incident is revenge for the situation in the al-Aqsa Mosque. The shooting on the part of the police proves their lack of responsibility. The martyr did not harm any officer. They want to shake off their responsibility. Luckily, we have documentation of the murder,” said a local resident.

This latest incident comes amid clashes over the al-Aqsa Mosque compound in East al-Quds (Jerusalem).

Palestinians are angry over Tel Aviv’s restrictions on the access to the mosque, considering the move as part of the Israeli regime’s plan to Judaize and desecrate the holy Islamic site.