Chancellor Angela Merkel is thinking about changing the law on immigration to allow criminals to be expelled from Germany faster than before.
It follows, after reports of mass sexual assaults and alleged rapes at the hands of immigrants from the Middle East and north Africa on Christmas Eve in Cologne come to light.
The attacks have provoked a debate in Germany, who has so far been welcoming in accepting refugees and immigrants flooding into Europe.
BYPASS THE CENSORS
Sign up to get unfiltered news delivered straight to your inbox.
The Independent reports:
In light of claims that a large number of the attackers were of North African and Arab appearance, politicians in Germany have called for tighter rules on immigration.
Currently, asylum seekers are only deported if they have been sentenced to jail for at least three years and are deemed to not represent a threat to people in their home country. However, Deutsche Welle reports that Chancellor Merkel has said she is now open to changing the law to make expulsion considerably quicker.
She has reportedly told a party meeting in Mainz: “The most important thing is that the facts about what happened are spoken about openly and bluntly. Terrible things happened, and we must respond to them.”
When asked whether she believes it should be possible for criminal immigrants to have their right to remain in Germany revoked, she reportedly said: “We should ask ourselves whether it might be necessary to take this away earlier and I have to say that for me, we must take it away sooner.”
During 2015, Germany accepted more than a million refugees, many of whom were fleeing conflict in the Middle East.
The New Year’s Eve attacks have shocked the country. More than a hundred women are believed to have been attacked; molested sexually and beaten physically, as well as being intimidated and threatened.
Latest posts by Edmondo Burr (see all)
- Police Arrest Suspect In Supermarket Baby Food Poisoning - October 1, 2017
- Seoul Secures Data From Electromagnetic Interference By N Korea - September 30, 2017
- The ‘World’s First Internet War’ Has Begun: Julian Assange - September 30, 2017