Louisiana Water Supply Infected With Deadly Brain-Eating Parasite…Again

Fact checked by The People's Voice Community

A potentially deadly brain-eating amoeba has been detected in a water supply in Pointe-aux-Chenes, Louisiana.

This is the third time since 2015 that the organism has been found in the same district, but officials still insists tap water is safe to drink.

The organism does not cause illness if swallowed, but can be deadly if it gets up the nose.

RT reports: Naegleria fowleri, a parasite which causes fatal brain swelling and tissue destruction, was identified in Terrebonne water. All freshwater sources in the parish have been affected, including drinking water, water in the bayous and pools, and water used for showers and baths.

The fatality rate for those infected by the parasite is over 97 percent, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Officials from Consolidated Waterworks say the water is “perfectly safe to drink” – it’s just not safe to get up your nose. Infection occurs when water containing the amoeba enters the body through the nose and travels to the brain where it destroys tissue.

“Normally we see this amoeba in surface water when people go swimming and they get it way up in their sinuses and they’ll get an infection,” said Jimmy Guidry, Louisiana Department of Health’s medical director. “They’ll start getting symptoms that are similar to meningitis.”

A notification was issued to residents in the community of Pointe-aux-Chenes, Sunday, and a 60-day pure chlorine wash has been applied to kill the microbes in the water.

This marks the third time in three years that the amoeba has been detected in the area. Last June, Terrebonne Parish’s water system tested positive for the amoeba in Isle de Jean Charles, where it had also been found three years ago.’

Niamh Harris
About Niamh Harris 15018 Articles
I am an alternative health practitioner interested in helping others reach their maximum potential.