German officials say they found an ISIS flag at the home of an Afghan refugee responsible for an axe and knife attack on a commuter train.
The hand painted ISIS/IS/Islamic State flag was allegedly found among the belongings of a 17-year-old axe-wielding refugee who seriously wounded four commuters, three of them critically, aboard a train in Germany on Monday.
The assailant was shot dead by German police after his bloody rampage near Wurzburg-Heidingsfeld station. Over a dozen people were treated for shock.
The Week reports:
BYPASS THE CENSORS
Sign up to get unfiltered news delivered straight to your inbox.
The 17-year-old injured four people, three of them seriously, on a regional commuter train travelling between the Bavarian towns of Treuchtlingen and Wurzburg on Monday night. He was shot dead by police, reports German news website Deutsche Welle.
Bavaria’s interior minister, Joachim Herrmann, said the attacker was a 17-year-old asylum-seeker who had arrived in Germany as an unaccompanied minor and had been living with a foster family in Ochsenfurt, south of Wurzburg, for “a few months”.
Herrmann told German television the flag had been found among the teenager’s belongings in his room, but said it was too early to say whether he was a member of an Islamist group or had become self-radicalised.
One witness claims the youth shouted “Allahu akbar” (“God is great”), while the IS-linked Amaq news agency has said he was an IS “fighter”, reports the BBC.
Local media reports in China have identified the victims as a group of tourists from Hong Kong.
The video contains graphic content.
According to the South China Morning Post, they are a married couple, their 27-year-old daughter and her 31-year-old boyfriend, all from Hong Kong. Their 17-year-old son travelling with them was not hurt, it said.
A source told the paper the father and boyfriend had tried to protect the other members of the group.
Germany initially welcomed refugees but has since begun to take a much tougher line, declaring it would deport Afghan asylum-seekers whose applications were rejected, reports The Guardian.
Afghans have been the second largest group to enter the European Union in recent months, with 178,230 seeking asylum in the EU’s 28 states in 2015, adds the paper.
Latest posts by Edmondo Burr (see all)
- Police Arrest Suspect In Supermarket Baby Food Poisoning - October 1, 2017
- Seoul Secures Data From Electromagnetic Interference By N Korea - September 30, 2017
- The ‘World’s First Internet War’ Has Begun: Julian Assange - September 30, 2017